Introduction to the Laravel CMS
Laravel is one of the most popular PHP frameworks for developing web applications. It is known in development circles for its ease of use‚ scalability‚ and elegant syntax. In recent years‚ the Laravel framework has gained immense popularity as a preferred choice for building content management systems (CMS).
Laravel is an excellent solution for businesses looking to create and manage their website content efficiently. When combined with Hatchly‚ our bespoke CMS product‚ users can build efficient content backends served by stunning web app layouts.
In this blog‚ we will explore the following:
- The basics of Laravel CMS development‚ and how it can be used to build efficient and dynamic web applications.
- How Laravel combines with our in-house CMS Hatchly to deliver powerful content platforms.
- Examples of Laravel and Hatchly working on popular websites.
What is Laravel?
The Laravel PHP framework can help enhance the web application development process. Created in 2011 by Taylor Otwell‚ Laravel has become a popular choice among developers due to its clean code and user-friendly features.
Laravel offers developers a range of features‚ including:
- Built-in authentication and authorisation functionalities
- Eloquent ORM that enhances working with database operations
- Unit testing capabilities‚ making it easier to write and run automated tests
- A built-in command-line interface‚ Artisan‚ to help perform specific tasks.
When these features are combined‚ Laravel offers a reliable and efficient framework for many types of web development projects.
How does Laravel help with content management systems?
Laravel’s features and tools make it an excellent framework for building content management systems. Specifically‚ it can help with CMS development in the following ways:
- Routing system: Laravel’s routing system helps organise and find content.
- Template engine: Laravel’s Blade tool makes it easy to create different content templates.
- ORM: Laravel’s ORM tool helps manage databases efficiently.
- Authentication and authorisation: Laravel’s built-in security features help keep critical information safe.
- Artisan CLI: Artisan makes managing content and databases within Laravel extremely straightforward.
What are Laravel’s strengths and weaknesses?
The Laravel PHP web application framework has several strengths and weaknesses depending on the use case.
- User-friendly syntax: Laravel has a clean and expressive syntax style that simplifies reading and writing code.
- Code reuse: The modular structure of Laravel incentivises developers to reuse code and build applications faster.
- Robust‚ proven features: Laravel comes with a wide range of built-in features that have been used in thousands of existing projects.
- Community support: Laravel has a widespread development community that contributes to its ongoing improvement and support network.
Despite its strengths‚ Laravel also has some potential downsides in certain situations.
- Steep learning curve: Laravel can be tricky for developers new to PHP code or Model-View-Controller (MVC) frameworks.
- Potential resource overheads: Laravel’s features and structure can result in performance overhead if they are not appropriately optimised during the development process.
Overall‚ Laravel’s weaknesses may require careful consideration before choosing it for particular projects — although its strengths are usually enough to make it a great choice. If in doubt‚ consult with Laravel development specialists for more information.
What is Hatchly?
Hatchly is a content management system product developed in-house by hedgehog lab.
At hedgehog lab‚ we prioritise using trusted technologies during web app development. Using proven tools like Laravel ensures that our solutions are always up to date with the latest features and security patches.
Having control over our bespoke Hatchly CMS also allows us to implement best-in-class software security across all our clients’ platforms. Since the CMS is the backbone of content platforms‚ using the most reliable and efficient technology for each project is crucial.
Is Hatchly easy to use?
With Hatchly‚ our clients can efficiently manage content and make updates. Database-driven and packed with features‚ Hatchly is always up-to-date with the latest version of Laravel‚ providing optimal security and functionality.
Hatchly also provides businesses with advanced tools‚ like elastic search‚ a clean‚ responsive interface‚ and a robust administration panel.
Who uses Hatchly?
Hatchly is designed with developers in mind. It’s available to all our customers through licencing or as part of our web application development services.
Laravel and Hatchly in action
Next‚ we’ll see some case studies of Laravel and Hatchly’s functionality.
In 2019/20‚ YourParkingSpace was growing quickly and needed an enhanced infrastructure to serve their expanding user base. The new system also needed to handle varying traffic levels and real-time inventory updates.
To develop the web platform‚ hedgehog lab used the popular PHP framework Laravel for its robust‚ scalable‚ and user-friendly nature. As with any project‚ integrating the new features into the existing workflow was vital‚ along with measuring changes and their impact.
The result was a strong platform that could handle YourParkingSpace’s growing customer base while elevating the end-user experience.
TPP‚ a UK healthcare tech company‚ wanted to update their web platform. They needed a development partner with experience working with Laravel‚ their chosen web framework. The platform needed to work in different languages‚ including a Chinese-language microsite.
hedgehog lab used Laravel to create a fast and secure solution able to handle spikes in traffic. Created using our bespoke Laravel CMS‚ Hatchly‚ TPP now has a modern web platform that can grow with their user base and improve the customer experience.
Wombat aims to simplify the investment process for beginners. hedgehog lab used a Scrum-based Agile methodology over 3-week sprints to create a product that matched Wombat’s vision. This approach allowed for flexibility and collaboration throughout the development process‚ ensuring the final result met all of Wombat’s needs.
The finished product was a strong iOS and Android solution‚ with a dual admin panel accessible through Nova and Hatchly — our in-house Laravel CMS. Now‚ Wombat’s thousands of monthly users can begin their investment journey with the help of a user-friendly platform built on the latest technology.
How can hedgehog lab help?
hedgehog lab specialise in Laravel CMS Development‚ producing effective CMS systems tailored to your business needs. Check out more resources in our insights area‚ or get in touch for more information.